Tuesday, July 28, 2009

A Reading Nook


I've been trying to come up with ideas to use the $100 my grandma gave Isabella for her birthday. The kids really don't need any more toys, we're pretty well stocked on books, clothes and craft supplies and Grandpa is renewing her Children's Museum membership, so I decided to hold onto it until the right idea occurred to me.

Yesterday, as I was perusing the back-to-school and dorm stuff (I love that stuff, don't ask me why) I saw these pillows and an idea popped into my head. I'd make them a reading nook.

There's a space at the top of the staircase on the way to their room that has always bugged me. It's too large to leave empty. It looks blank and cold, but it's really too small for anything useful. Inefficient, unused spaces drive me nuts. A reading nook is the perfect thing for this space and, with the girls sharing a room, it's something that can give them another place to hang out.

The space is simple, two $12 reading pillows, a $3 IKEA rug, an old wicker basket for books and a set of $20 IKEA decals I had bought for another project, decided against and forgotten to return. I think it looks pretty good and the kids just love it. Finally, that awkward little space will be put to some use.

4 comments:

  1. We are big fans of reading nooks in this house, and your girls must love theirs! I love all the back-to-school/dorm stuff too!! I hardly ever have any real use for it, but I just love looking at all of it! The wall decal is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a wonderful idea! my favorite space as a little girl was a "window" seat i made using my purple gumball machiene sleeping bag (all folded up to be extra thick), pillows, and, of course, a soft squishy stuffed animal army. i read there, did homework, played school, and napped with my kitty. it was an ideal spot; thanks for bringing back so many fond memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys!

    Valerie, I don't have much use for the school and dorm stuff either, but I love it. I think it's the simplicity of it all. The nice new school supplies, the freshly outfitted dorm room. Maybe it's nostalgia. I don't know.

    laughingrad13 I had a similar hang-out spot in my closet. I loved that spot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a perfect little nook!

    ReplyDelete