Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Coolest Mom Ever

That is my new title, according to my big girls. Yesterday was the official last day of 1st and 2nd grade, so Zach and I wanted to do something to celebrate. It's been a pretty crazy spring, what with Daddy graduating, Grandpa graduating his seminary program, a remodeling project in the family room and, of course, the arrival of baby #5 all in a 10 day period.

Crazy doesn't even cover it. I've never been on a roller coaster. I am terrified of them. I frequently tell people I'd rather give birth, which Zach thinks is cheap because I don't mind giving birth, but he asked me while I was in labour and it's true. Anyway, I'd imagine that this spring has been somewhat like the big scary loop on the roller coaster, hanging on for dear life, pretty sure you aren't really going to crash, but not as sure as you were while you were waiting in line.

The girls have been a huge help through that period of insanity and I really don't know what I would have done without them. I have been extraordinarily proud of the way they stepped up to the plate. I am pretty sure I was nowhere near as responsible and well behaved when I was their age. Last night we decided it was time to say thank-you to them for all of their help.

We put them to bed at their normal hour and waited. About an hour later we woke them up and told them to get their shoes on.


They had no idea what we were doing or where we were going, but they were up past their bedtime and leaving the house, so they were game. As we stopped at the bank to get cash and at the coffee shop for Mom to get caffeinated they ruminated about where we were going. Their guesses ranged from a restaurant to the University of Minnesota Raptor Center (which I'm sure is open at 9PM on a random Tuesday, right?) and every turn we made they'd say, "It's a clue! We've been down this road before!" or "I have no idea where we are right now."


Finally, we arrived at the movie theater and Cheyenne immediately knew what we were doing. "I see that poster with the giant letter A! You are taking us to see the Avengers!" Cheyenne is obsessed with Iron Man. She has an alter-ego named Jewels Stark who is also known as Iron Girl. For a full three days in March she barely spoke to me because I forbid her to marry Tony Stark when she turns nine, ruining her life forever and causing a very expensive robotic wedding dress, designed by Cheyenne herself, to be sent to the scrapyard for smelting. See. It's been a tough spring for all of us.

I am now forgiven because not only did I take them to see the Avengers, after bedtime on a Tuesday (because Tuesdays are the cheap day at the local theater, but don't tell them that), I took them to see it in 3D.

And I bought them popcorn and Sprite. And that is how I have come by my new title, Coolest Mom Ever. We'll see how long it lasts.

2 comments:

  1. I would have to say that you are not only the coolest mom ever, but the bravest mom and creative! It has been so much fun watching your FB posts this year. Your children are blessed to have you as their mother. What a wonderful treat to give them. Thanks for posting these fun stories, because you inspire me to be a better mom and enjoy my children that much more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the sweet compliment Bridget! That means a lot to me!

    ReplyDelete