Friday, October 16, 2009

A Party at the Park

The first Friday our new neighbors, Silverwood Park, host their Fireside First Fridays event. It's an evening time party with a nature theme. This month's theme was The Moon. We gathered in the by the gallery fireplace to sing songs and watch a shadow puppet show about the moon.


This was followed by a chance to make our own shadow puppets and try them out with the moon shaped shadow puppet theaters that had been placed in the event hall. Bella made a bat. Cheyenne made a bunny, a girl and a tractor. The moons were made of freezer paper taped onto a big wooden circle. I bet I could do this using one of my very large embroidery hoops and one of Zach's LED shop lights as a light source. The puppets are made of construction paper, brads (to make the parts move) and bamboo skewers. They were really easy and we had a lot of fun. Even our neighbor, a woman about my mom's age who's kids are grown and gone, had a great time making them.
Finally we roasted marshmallows in the patio fireplace. We will definitely be attending more of these Fireside First Fridays. It was a great chance to get out of the house and meet the community and it was a lot of fun.

4 comments:

  1. Oh how cool! What fun puppetry. That sounds like a lovely place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice that you have something like that so close to your home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the best idea! I'm totally stealing it and using it for my own purposes... I'm thinking MOMS club activity... Oh, how fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, that park is the best neighbor ever. Except maybe for Rick who lives next door and gets rid of dead mice for me and brings me things like fresh fruit for no good reason. But they're right up there, anyway.

    ReplyDelete