Monday, November 9, 2009

I Have Parted Ways With My Sanity

It all started with these beauties. I've been browsing at the Bake it Pretty Website for a while now daydreaming about actually learning how to decorate cakes and I stumbled onto these, the Vintage Village and Magical Forest cupcake topper sets.


So I bought them. That's right. I spent $30 (including shipping) on cupcake toppers. So of course, now I actually have to do something with them because otherwise there's really no way to justify a purchase like that. So I thought about it and decided that I'm going to throw a Christmas party for my kid's new school friends and the cupcakes will be the star of the show.
Picture it. My dining room table lit up with white Christmas lights on top of my vintage Christmas table cloth. Fake snow strewn across the table and little Christmas village cupcakes strategically placed to resemble a fantasy Christmas village. But wait. You can't have a Christmas village without a tree. A big one. Right in the middle of town square. But I hate storing things long-term, so I want something edible. Enter, the Cookie Star Christmas Tree.

Now, I may actually print that off and take it to my friendly local bakery to see what they would charge me for something like that, but if not I'm probably just going to go ahead and attempt it myself. Well, now that I have the Christmas tree and all the little villagers, I need an actual Village. You know, at least a church and some houses.


And an ice skating rink, which I'm planning to make out of a circular mirror. And Christmas music. And hot chocolate. And egg nog. And maybe A Charlie Brown Christmas to watch on DVD. And you know what, I told the kids my grand plan so now I'm really committed. It's going to be spectacular. You know, if I'm still awake to enjoy it after all that work. Oh well. I put on a holiday tea for 100 people last year at my church when I was 5 months pregnant. This couldn't be any harder than that, right?

6 comments:

  1. Ha! I love the title of this post! And I see I'm not the only one with fantasies like this.... they can get you into trouble, you know! ;-)

    Wow, how lovely! That church is freakin' amazing. Love the idea of this party....only I would ditch the kids and have a party like that for some REALLY good friends!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in AWE of your ambition!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We made a star-tree last year. You can get a set of graduated star or snowflake cookie cutters at Michael's - use the 40% off coupon! I didn't pipe icing onto ours - I drizzled white icing, and my daughter added her favorite touch, sprinkles. We also made a gingerbread house --- out of cardboard, fleece, felt, and various decorations - e.g. a reusable, not an edible one. Let me know if you'd like to borrow the pattern. I'm sure I can find a photo of our completed creation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just had to tell you that I am THIS close to buying that magical forest sampler. So. Tempted. Must. Buy. Help!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone!

    Rosemary, that fabric gingerbead house sounds so cute! Yes, I'd love to borrow the pattern.

    Valerie, go for it. Aside from cupcake decorating the little figurines would be so cute in a terrarium. I think we'll actually get a lot of use out of these things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually, I can give pretty basic directions - having constructed it once, and having found that the pattern had some faults (as most do). I'll email.

    ReplyDelete