Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Zach


This is my husband Zach. Zach is the most amazing man I know and I love him with all my heart. I'll never be able to tell him how much I love him. I'll spend the rest of my life attempting to show him, and it will still be only a shadow of the real thing.

I met Zach one February afternoon in a parking garage in Pasadena when he was 20 and I was 24. A month later we were married. I'll tell you that story sometime. It's a good one, but the important thing to know about that whirlwind month is that somehow, we knew. We knew that we were meant to be together. It wasn't a hot-and-heavy sort of thing. Well, it was, but it was also something else. There was a stillness in my heart when I was with him. A deep sense of longing, love and trust that couldn't have come from anything mortal or human. I believe it was a calling.

I don't know how else to explain that in the matter of a few short weeks the cute security guard who helped me jumpstart my van became my husband and it worked. I could never have anticipated the myriad of complex and unexpected ways in which our souls would fit together, that our lives would fit together, like pieces of a puzzle I didn't even know I was assembling. The way we compliment each other, our strengths holding each other up and filling in the gaps. The way he is so frequently and irritatingly right when I want him not to be, and the way he defers to my crazy harebrained schemes because he trusts me.

I'm not saying it's perfect, but it's good, and as I get older I think I prefer good to perfect. Good is real. Good is flexible. Good is forgiving. God didn't look at his creation and declare it perfect, he delcared it good. Very good even. I would have to agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment