Thursday, April 16, 2009

Thrift store finds

I have an absolute weakness for thrifting. They know me by name at my favourite thrift store. Today was the day of my old high school's annual garage sale, so a friend and I agreed to meet after lunch to see what we could find.

These were the first finds of the day. I love vintage metal trays. They're great for putting under kids plates to contain messes, for carrying small bowls of things and condiments to the table or outside and for magnetic poetry. I got four different trays for $2 each. The books, Captains Courageous by Rudyard Kipling and Betsy and Tacy Go Over the Big Hill, are classics. Of course the kids aren't big enough to read them yet, but they will be eventually and at $2 each I thought they were worth holding on to.

I collect vintage pillowcases and use them for different things. As I talked about a few days ago, they make great skirts for little girls. They also make great tote bags and they usually sell for under $1. The pretty prism candle holder and thread were found and another garage sale I hit on the way out of the first one. The candle holder was $1 and the three spools of thread were $.75.



Finally, I couldn't resist a stop at the thrift store on the way home, where I found large bags of brand-new crayons for $.50 each. I bought two, putting one of them into jars for use today and another bag in the craft cabinet for later use. We can never have too many crayons around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment