Thursday, August 13, 2009

Marshmallow Mermaid Pie

I have a weakness for marshmallows. It's not even so much the flavour, especially with store bought marshmallows, as it is the texture. I love the sweet, airy creaminess. So two years ago when I saw the movie Waitress I filed away the idea of Marshmallow Mermaid Pie in my head, only to randomly retrieve it last night when I was rolling pie crusts. I looked it up on the internet and found the recipe on the movie's website. I decided that this is the kind of thing I should get out of my system before my Year of Temperance begins.

Marshmallow Mermaid Pie

9 graham crackers
1/2 C. sweetened, flaked coconut, toasted
5 Tbs. butter or margarine, melted
34 lg. marshmallows (8 oz.)
1/2 C. whole milk
1 1/2 C. heavy or whipping cream
1 oz. unsweetened chocolate, grated

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine coconut and graham crackers in food processor until coarse crumbs form.
2. Combine crumbs and butter with fork. Press to bottom and side of 9-inch pie plate. Bake 10 minutes and cool on wire rack.
3. Heat marshmallows and milk in 3-qt. saucepan over low heat until smooth, stirring constantly. Remove saucepan from heat. Cool completely (30 minutes.)
4. In large bowl with mixer at medium speed, beat cream until stiff peaks form. Fold marshmallow mixture into whipped cream with grated chocolate. Spoon filling into cooled crust. Refrigerate pie at least 3 hours or overnight.
5. Top with mini marshmallows, maraschino cherries and rainbow sprinkles.


Good Lord, was this a good pie. It wasn't nearly as sticky sweet as I had imagined it would be. The girls and Zach all agreed that this is a winner and one we will definitely be making again.

6 comments:

  1. Oh my, that looks seriously dangerous! Pie crust and marshmallows...?? Wow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH man. That does look good. A contender against banana cream, perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is dangerous.

    Mmmm. Green Girl now you've gotten me thinking about banana cream pie. That may have to be next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MY! Connor would LOVE that. I just might make it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will not be disappointed Tracy. It's delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you use the colored fruit marshmallows for the actual pie as well? Or did you use regular marshmallows to make the pie?

    ReplyDelete