Monday, May 18, 2009

Fishing Guide

While we were out fishing it occurred to me that, other than sunfish I would have no idea what I had caught unless there were other kind souls around to inform me. I decided to borrow an idea from Valerie at Frugal Family Fun. She made a handy little field guide to birds for children and I thought it would be useful to do the same for my family using fish. I printed off pictures of common local fish from the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources website. Next I will cut out the pictures, laminate them, punch a hole in them and put them on a ring. It should be small enough to fit in the tackle box and an invaluable resource should I ever manage to catch something other than lake weeds. Now all I have to do is learn to clean a fish. I'd imagine it shouldn't be too hard to find a teacher. I doubt you could swing a dead cat in the state of Minnesota without hitting someone who knows how to clean a fish. If that fails, there's always YouTube.

No comments:

Post a Comment