Thursday, May 7, 2009

Frugal Cooking- Rice Pudding

Can you tell I'm craving carbs lately as a knee jerk reaction to the gestational diabetes? I went through all the trouble of making this so I could eat 1/3 cup of it. I'm obviously a glutton for punishment.

Rice pudding is my ultimate comfort food. My grandma makes it, my great-aunt Beulah makes it and my great-aunt Leone makes it. My mom, who travels a lot for work, was having a conversation one day with a group of people from all over the world and they discovered that whatever differences they may have the one thing they all had in common was a grandma that made some version of rice pudding. It's simple, cheap and it tastes good.

Here's the recipe my grandma makes:

1 c rice
4 c milk or half and half (it's supposed to be half and half, but it tastes good with milk too)
1/2-1 c sugar
Vanilla extract
Almond Extract (opt. but recommended)

Cook in a double boiler on low heat until the rice is cooked through. This takes 1-2 hours. Check it occasionally to stir and add more milk if necessary. When it is cooked, add the sugar and extracts. It's good with cinnamon sprinkled on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment