Friday, May 29, 2009

Tote Bag Organization

I have an addiction to tote bags. I love them. Up until now I've been very haphazard about their use, grabbing one when I want to go somewhere, filling it with what I need and then forgetting to empty it and leaving it on the hooks in the entry way. No more. I have decided to organize and pre-stock my tote bags.

I started by making two lists of things we like to do, one for winter and one for summer. Then I listed all of the things we usually take with us on a given activity and packed those in the bags. Here are a couple of examples.

Pool/Beach:
Pool Toys
Goggles
Floaties for Bella
Sunblock

Coffee Shop:
Card games
Small Board Games
Crayons
Colouring Book

Church:
Colouring Book
Crayons
Picture Book
Small toy

Letterboxing:
Sunblock
Bug Spray
Stamp
Ink
Letterboxing Notebook
Pen
Mini first-aid kit
Water bottle

There is some overlap here, for example there are several bags with sunblock in them, but I think the duplication is worth it. I'd rather have three sunblocks than get where I am going and realize I've forgotten it. With three fair skinned people in this family the sunblock will be used one way or another.

Finally, to more easily tell the bags apart I labeled each one with one of these round tags I had laying around.

This system has really made getting ready to go someplace easier. No more hunting around for the goggles or the bug spray. We just grab the bag and go.

4 comments:

  1. That's fabulous! I did that with Emma's school and dance backpack and it worked out great. I never thought of doing it for the whole house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It's been working out really well. It's probably cut my "getting out of the house" time by 2/3.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome idea! Another idea I use are those clear plastic zippered bags you sometimes get when you buy window treatments or bedding.

    ReplyDelete