Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Perpetual Childhood-Embracing My Inner Peter Pan

We are really a very silly bunch of people. I was thinking about that tonight as we were swimming and goofing off, only to look up at the clock and realize that it was 7:00PM and we hadn't so much as thought about what we were having for dinner.

As I hungrily scarfed down my mac and cheese, carrot sticks and rainbow jello (Cheyenne's brilliant dinner suggestion) I felt like I was 6 years old again, playing outside until the last possible minute before running home for dinner, hoping I'd be on time and my mom wouldn't be mad. Only now I'm the mom and there's no one to be mad at me. The thought made me smile.

I remember thinking when I was a kid, "when I grow up I'm going to play outside until dark and eat macaroni and cheese and ice cream every day and never make my kids go to bed." Of course, as happens to most people, I have become more serious and less fond of macaroni and cheese (although not so much the ice cream) as I've aged. Still, I love those moments where I don't act my age, where I do something silly or irresponsible or just plain fun without a thought to bedtimes and nutritional value. I love momentarily inhabiting a world where the dishes are less important than cannonballs into the pool. I hope I never get too old for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment